Here are some resources to get union certification in IATSE – International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists and Allied Crafts.

IATSE District 12 – These unions deal with motion picture workers in Western Canada. Local 295 handles Stage Employees, Projectionists & Motion Picture Technicians in Regina and Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.

Film 164 Set Protocol and Set Safety – SIAST – Before you can work on a film set you MUST have taken a Set Safety/Set Protocol course and a WHIMIS course (Occupational health and safety). Film 164 is taught at SIAST. If you are moving after graduation, make sure this course is transferable to your new location, otherwise you may as well do your set protocol course in your new home.

Look for Resources in the area you want to work in. Here are some resources for Winnipeg:

Film Training Manitoba – Look at the courses they offer. Sometimes this tells you what positions are in demand.
IATSE LOCAL 856 – This union organizes the technicians on set. Look on the site for their Permittee application form. Once you are a Permittee you get placed on the bottom of the list for crew calls. You have to stay on the list for a set period of time and with time spent working and whatever courses you need taken you become a union member and will move up the list and get first pick of jobs.
IATSE LOCAL 669 – This union organizes cinematographers.
ACTRA Manitoba – Canadian Actors Union.
DGC – Directors Guild of Canada.